Sorry for the semi-self-indulgence here. If you only care about my thoughts and not about my life (which is totally valid), please ignore this post. It’s nice to get these down somewhere, and I figure that I may be able to help someone with one or many of these (or the other way around).
- Working with Andrew (aka @hyfen), a brilliant friend of mine, on a project called Communitie. We’re setting up skilled professionals who have a bit of extra time (which we see too much of these days, what with layoffs and cutbacks) with local non-profits and community organizations that need their expertise. We set the site up in a night, presented at DemoCamp three days later, and we’re just waiting on approval of our write-up before we post the first project.
- I have some ideas about how the above can scale, but I’m looking into potential business models for it — and applying for some startup programs.
- Continuing to avoid “schoolwork”, since most of my assignments have little to no impact on my personal development, let alone anyone else’s.
- Figuring out fundraiser ideas for the UC Follies. We came up a bit short this year, but Blank Canvas inspired a (similar, though slightly tweaked) spinoff to help make up the loss and make sure next year’s team can work on a show.
- Learning Python. I was falling behind on my ability to talk to programmers, and needed to catch up.
- Getting to know some fantastic people in the Toronto tech and non-profit communities. I’m not going to name names, but search #csiTO and #genyTO on Twitter Search to see what’s up.
- Dreaming of organizing a crowdsourced Tom Waits concert in Toronto.